A steadfast spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, so that sinners will turn back to you." (‭‭Psalm‬ ‭51:10-13‬ ‭NIV)

Each day I pray, I ask the Lord to search my heart to see if there is any sinful way in me and to lead me in his perfect will (Ps. 139:23-24). Like David, I want a pure heart before the Lord. It is only he that can give it, and it is only he who can give me a "steadfast spirit"—the ability and desire to keep pressing on. 

For what purpose? To teach others who do not know Jesus and God's grace so that they will turn to him. God's plans are so much greater than what we can see it our limited view. It's like looking through binoculars and only seeing the small area zoomed in. Sometimes God's plans don't seem right. "How could that be the best way Lord?" I sometimes ask... I have a limited view. 

Lastly, the part of the scripture above that glares at me is "restore to me the joy of your salvation..." Have I found joy on his salvation lately? If not, there is something spiritually awry. I should be full of joy knowing that he has saved me "to the uttermost" and there is nothing that can separate me from the love of God through Jesus Christ. When I have joy of my being saved and realize the depth of love extended to me, it should give me a willing spirit. When that happens, the result (overflow) should be telling others about this amazing thing that God, in his unending love, has done for me. What purpose it gives to know these things as truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment